Friday, September 21, 2012

How I Use Speakerfile Pre-Gig



Courtesy: Cara Posey, Speakerfile
 
So I haven’t even had the opportunity yet to tell my own team, but I am speaking at an event on October 5th in Pittsburgh, PA.  My alma mater, Carnegie Mellon University, is hosting a Symposium on Arts Management and Innovation at the Heinz College.  I have the privilege of joining a select group of alumnae presenting sessions for the event, which is in celebration of the 25th anniversary of the Masters of Arts Management at the university.  My session will be on social media and crisis communication, which is something I love talking about–whether it’s in the classes I teach or at conferences.
I’m sure you’ve all seen the infomercials where the host tells you that they not only serve as a spokesperson, but also use the product. That would be me and Speakerfile.  We not only build the platform, but we use it to help expand the visibility of our own experts and share our thought leadership.   Given this carry-over, I thought I’d share with you how I am using Speakerfile prior to CMU’s symposium in October.
  1. When I was considering my event submission, I visited my profile to remind myself of my recent speaking topics and synopses. That gave me a base to start writing my new session description.
  2. I used my bio on Speakerfile for the submission and included a link to my Speakerfile profile for the committee to review. This included my rich-media assets, such as my photos, slideshare presentations, and vimeo videos.
  3. I added my new session on social media and crisis communication as a speaking topic on my Speakerfile profile.
  4. My next to-do is to add the upcoming event to my list of speaking engagements so that my list is up-to-date for others that might be evaluating my profile.
These are just a few steps that I have taken this month. I’d love to hear from you: how are you using Speakerfile before, during, and after a speaking engagement?